Friends
I love my friends. Every last one of you are amazing and I could not imagine my life without you! Being sick gives me a lot of time to think about random things, and generally when I do think, the thought process is obscure and twisted and usually takes me down roads that lead to strange situations when I allow myself to travel them. I think this is caused by the cold meds, but lets move away from that, and talk about friends.
I am so blessed to have the friends that I have! What causes me to get along with them so well? Coming to St. Olaf, I was scared that I would have no friends and that I would be the kid who ate lunch by herself and everyone felt bad for because she had no friends, and I guess, that is somewhat of a logical fear. Humans tend to be social creatures, so it is completely normal to want to be around people have have friends. I got here and made a few friends the first few weeks, but nobody really stuck out to me as being the type of person I wanted to get to know better and become closer to. Eventually I found some people, and they have become my friends. Now, I have to wonder, why did I chose them?
It is entirely possible that I chose these people because they are of the same major as me. It could be that we are in orchestra together. I don't know the exact reason, and frankly, I don't think I want to know. I know for a fact that Angie and I have very little in common, yet she is an amazing best friend. Are we best friends by defult because we have known eachother for so long? Are we best friends because we know eachother really well? It's neither of those. I have known plenty of people longer than Angie. Take that one girl that I knew in Kindergarden who moved to Blaine and stuff. Yeah, she's not my best friend. i also don't really know how well I know anyone, so that is never really a deciding factor. It is all relative to the person you are trying to know. Some people are easier to know than others, and that is totally normal. I believe that I am a fairly easy person to know and figure out. There are some people who are easy to know, but very very difficult to figure out until you spend a very large amount of time with them.
Back on topic, why do I have such a desire to have friends? I know I said before that humans are social, but honestly, there are people who go through life not having friends and lead amazing lives. Am I just unable to push down that desire for people? Does it make me weak? Does it make those people who don't have friends strong? I can't answer this, and I don't think an answer is necessary.
Friendship is so necessary in our lives. Without it, we would be totally screwed. Think about it! If you had no friends to be there when you needed them, what would you do? Rely on strangers? How reliable are they?
Oh, friends. I could go on for hours about why I love them so much, but I wont. Instead, I will find something else to fill my evening, which will most likely involve sleep.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home