Music
Have you ever wondered what effect music actually has on us? I know I have. Often times, I sit around late into the night and think about why I am so connected to this random collaboration of sounds that make what I consider music. I know it isnt random, in fact, after starting music theory, it is quite logical and predictable (most of it, at least). But, think about this: Why would you put two sounds together and decide that it works and sounds good? Nonsensical, or at least, mostly nonsensical to a point. Ok so that isnt the goal of this post, I'm already getting off topic, and it is only 11:59pm. How much of an effect does music have on our lives? Here goes.
Think of your favorite musical piece, or song, whichever the case may be. Why is it your favorite? Is it beautiful? Is it strange? Mostlikely, it creates an emotion inside of you that is hard to mimic by any other source. Many people attempt to describe it using various adjectives and such, but there is just no way to do such a thing. That feeling is only known to the person who feels it. How many other things can only be known to one person? Any physical event can generally be known by the masses, or at least more than one person, but the emotion that is felt when listening, or even moreso when playing a piece of music is so indescribeable using our means of speach. I am sure every single one of you who reads this knows what I mean.
The second point I want to bring up about music's personal intimacy is the way you can express an emotion that is otherwise inexpressable (do you see a pattern?). This is basically the inverse of the last paragraph. Many emotions that we encounter in life are indescribeable using our language etc etc. Think of any emotion, and you can bet your life that there is a way to describe it using music, and that someone will understand your emtion through your music. This brings in a performance factor, but that can be discussed at a later date. Why do you think we have such great music from amazing composers? They have all had horrible emotions that us normal people will never experience bottled up inside of themselves with no way of venting them out.
The third, and what I think is most prominent, factor that influences the intimacy of music to a person is the memories it brings up. I know for a fact that I cannot hear pop goes the weasel without thinking of my grandma, and that I will never hear "Old Rugged Cross" and not think of my mom and various other situations. There are so many pieces that bring up memories and each of them is so closely tied to my soul/inner self that there is no way for me to ever stop the feelings they evoke, which brings us back to the first and second points. I can guarantee you all that there is at least one song/piece of music that sticks out in your mind as being something that relates strongly to an event in your life.
Edit:
It is only 7:33 now, but it definately feels like its the middle of the night. I have been thinking a lot about associations when it comes to music. I was thinking about how I had certain people I would look at on tour at certain places. During the Halverson, I would always look at my standpartner and the girl behind us at one point so that none of us came in wrong. I would also look over into the viola section at Mike and he would do the jaws thing at one point. I had numerous connections with Tim during the Rach. The list goes on and on and on for countless connections. When I listen to any of the program, I definately remember each and every connection that I made every night. I also think about certain songs that mean so much to me for other reasons. The feelings that they bring up are unparalleled by any other thing, purely by the event that it brings to mind. When I think of Ashokan Farewell, I think of my grandma and how I played it while she peacefully was lowered into the ground. That piece will forever hold a special place in my heart.
The only question I have is why the music reminds me of this so vividly. Why does the collaboration of notes bring back the exact emotion felt at the time? It all seems so random.
People here tend to associate me with Wieniawski becuase its what I played. There are definately people who sing it when I walk by them. Oh, I don't get it.
I hope you guys can add to this random post. Sorry it dragged on and was really confusing.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home